(ANON QUESTION RECEIVED FROM GodfirstGodalways)
I struggle with depression/anxiety a lot of it is impulse thoughts. Mostly when I become angry at simple things that shouldn’t make it angry. I have t gone to church in a while I want to go but I get depressed thinking people will judge be since I haven’t been there for a while. Can you help?
When my anxiety was this bad, I remember a lot of it was impulsive thoughts too. I get that. About the anger too. Pride and patience was and still is God’s biggest lesson for me. The thing that’s great is you know it’s a problem so you are on the right path. It just takes time to make it a practice where you can resist the urge to lose it and it really begins with your thoughts, especially first thing in the morning. I’ve always had a mind that’s very receptive and maybe you’re the same way..(?) I’ve never been hypnotized but I would probably be a very easy person to put under a spell just because I easily absorb influence. You’ve got to pay attention to who you’ve been spending time with, what you’ve been watching, and what you’ve been listening to. A lot of things have an influence on you whether you’re aware of it or not. For me if I begin the day looking at Snapchat stories or silly things on Instagram that have nothing to do with God/Christianity, later on it’ll be hard to focus on Him when I finally want to. My thoughts will end up being very impulsive and I’ll easily be concerned about things that I shouldn’t be concerned about…basically my focus will not have a direction and clear purpose..I’ll be all over the place and I’ll feel mentally exhausted. It’s better to start the day with peace and inspiration drawn from pouring myself to God.
Maybe you need to reevaluate what you’ve been listening to lately…whatever is entertaining you in the flesh is preventing you from reaching that place of peace in your soul. I remember throwing out everything that God convicted me to throw out and just getting rid of things that were hindering me from growing…from secular music to my Cosmopolitan magazines, and I just detoxed mostly from listening to music that was not helping me have more patience and think more peacefully. Now besides Christian, I listen mostly to classical, jazz, instrumental, study, chill music, and some oldies every now and then. My anger issues and anxiety has seriously subsided. I only have moments when I’m irritated but I got it under control.
People will not judge you in church because they are probably busy worrying about others judging them too. Really, everyone has their own issues. If you are not ready to go back, at least fill your mind with songs of praise, the newer the better. Also listen to Christian podcasts, read devotionals, journal…something that will get you on track for desiring more of Jesus in your life. Every morning, dedicate the first hour to God. I’ve listed some resources for you. And of course I will be praying for you too that in His perfect time you will find the courage to go back to church. <3
Apps I have on my phone:
- Focus on the Family Focus Broadcast
- Valley Vegas/VBF Church
- Ask Pastor John (Desiring God)
- d365 Daily Devotionals
- Got Questions?
- Think Up
Consider subscribing to these channels on YT:
- Joshua Eze (he’s got a book called Unplugged, great motivational preacher)
- Transformation Church (Pastor Michael Todd)
- Elevation Church (Pastor Steven Furtick)
- Elevation Worship (love their music)
- Sadie Robertson (this girl’s spirit and energy is just awesome)
- Positively Britt (love her guided scripture reading w/ instrumental, great for meditation)
- Psalm (worship playlists, great to get you filled up with the right kind of energy in the morning)
- The Good Christian Music (nice chill music)
- Study Music Project (study, relax, chill)
- Best Music Compilation (study relax, work out)
Top books/ebooks I recommend:
Supplements that I am very grateful for 🙂
- Sports Research L-Theanine w/ Suntheanine (for anxiety, focus, relaxation, sleep) https://amzn.to/2DnSdYT
- Bulk Supplements L-Theanine (for anxiety, focus, relaxation, sleep) https://amzn.to/2F2ZPSw
Do your own research, this supplement is effective for anger, irritation, impatience, stress.
Disclaimer: I’m not a dietitian or nutritionist.