Isaac’s Race

I have a brother who laughs with great confidence. In fact his name means “One who makes me laugh” or “laughter”. I love his innocence and I love his growing knowledge of the world. But he doesn’t think he has enough confidence in himself. I tell him “Today is going to be a great day.” He replies by repeating the same words, except I can see in his eyes a slight struggle to believe. Every night I put him to bed with a reminder, “Tomorrow is going to be a great day.” And he replies with eyes that I’d like to see the same way the next day. I was mad and jealous to my guts when this boy was just a fetus. I knew that my life would basically end, because I would then become the middle child, and my needs would be non-existent. I had become a mother to a younger brother from the same mother. Straight out of high school. I had no choice. But the Big Man put the responsibility in my small hands, because He knew I could handle Isaac. God helped me make sense of it, and I believe He let Isaac in on it too. I remember one night when he was 8 years old, I helped him with homework that had me convulsing with anger. He looked at me and said, “You’re going to be a great mother one day because I’m your training ground.” I wish our parents had told me something similar along the lines the day the unplanned boy was due. Without him, I would not laugh with confidence. I would not feel like the child at heart I am today. I would not be the sister or daughter striving to be a better example. Without him, I could care less about the responsibilities that would shape my character. And without him, I would not pray so much for confidence. It’s perfect the way God had planned it. I would become his closest friend and he would be mine. And I would point out to him who he can get his confidence from. God. He has a speech to make today, and Lord knows I try my best as his coach. He wants to be the next 5th grade class treasurer. As I run my own race, I pray he runs his with confidence and gusto. ๐Ÿ™‚

188465_1002974588113_7554_n

Check out my YouTube channel!

1. Goodness me, he is VERY wise for his age!

I wish I was as wise as he is when I was ten!

2. helenrj says:

I love the picture of you with your brother. I hope he dazzled them with his speech!

Thank you very much! He dazzled them for sure. The elections were the same day just within his class. The kid had victory written all over his face after school. Praise the Lord! ๐Ÿ˜€

3. So SO beautiful–the faces, and the great heart. God bless you both.

Thank you for that! God bless you as well! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. RMB Photography says:

That was very nice Sheela! I’m 13 years older than my brother, so I know the responsibility of being the ‘third parent’. It sounds like Isaac has a great big sister! That’s a great photo of both of you!

Haha only by His grace Ryan! Siblings are blessings. And me here is 18 years difference. Yikes! Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. RMB Photography says:

Wow! That is a very big difference! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Many thanks for following my blog.

6. What a precious and handsome boy. I will pray for his confidence and perfect words today. You are a beautiful and loving role model.

Thanks momma. ๐Ÿ™‚ I try my best. Much appreciated!